Monday, May 7, 2012

Free Comic Book De Mayo Part 1: Long Live Dr. Dinosaur

    First off I'd like to say this about Free Comic Book Day:
             So, I'll just hop into this I suppose. Any double sided issues will be done on different numbers.
     1. Red 5 Comics Featuring Atomic Robo, Neo Zoic, and Bonnie Lass. The good: Hilarious velociraptor (calling himself Dr. Dinosaur) that explains ridiculous situations with even more ridiculous phony science that other characters openly point out as flawed though he's somehow right. Dr. Dinosaur creates a time loop and that somehow creates a futuresaurus rex.  The bad:...Everything else. I had a hard time finishing Neo Zoic and Bonnie Lass. It would have been hard to finish Atomic Robo if Dr. Dinosaur wasn't so awesome.Maybe I didn't like the stories because I was unfamiliar with the characters. That being said, Free Comic Book Day is great for consumers for two reasons: FREE COMICS! And two, it's a great way for new readers to get into it all. I shouldn't have to have previous knowledge to have a good time reading a comic meant for new readers. Or maybe, juuuust maybe, all three stories sucked. I say just give Dr. Dinosaur his own comic.
    2.Bongo Comics Free-For-All. I hope the punny title doesn't get wasted on you. Bongo Comics is Matt Groening's comic company that he uses for Simpson, Simpson related, and Futurama comics. The plot of this is good, Homer Simpson and his buddies join Bear Patrol and are forced stop coordinated bear maulings across Springfield that all spawned from the hit reality show, "Celebrities Dancing With Bears". Sounds like a classic Simpson's set up to me. It didn't have as many gags as I would have liked, but all in all, enjoyable.
   3. SpongeBob Comics: Freestyle Funnies. Surprisingly, SpongeBob translates very well to the page.  It reads like one of the better episodes of the show. It's also about SpongeBob annoying Squidward about comics, so funny, and befitting. The last page is just filler strips with short gags. I'm looking forward to more of this quality from SpongeBob Comics.
   4.Dinosaur's Vs. Aliens. Hmmm. Not much to say about this one. I went in expecting nothing put carnage and lasers, came out a bit confused. Not entirely sure of the plot. Aliens use up all their resources on their planet, come to earth and fight dinosaurs. Or maybe the aliens are dinosaurs looking for resources and there are other dinosaurs. And I think there are dinosaur tribal chiefs or something....I really don't know. Grant Morrison penned it, so I should have been expecting to be sort of confused and unsatisfied. Beyond all that, the art is absurdly gorgeous. Even with a dumb plot, the art is the best out of any comic I got that day. But some of the dinosaurs were wearing necklaces and headdresses I think. I don't even know.
   5.Mega Man: Origin of a Hero. The same origin story every nerd knows, but with more good art. (Except that cover art. Bleck.)  Good, but not great, a good starting point for someone unfamiliar with the Blue Bomber.
   6.Peanuts. What do you want me to say? It's Peanuts. It's cute. It's funny.
   7.Adventure Time with Finn and Jake. This book was so lumping mathematical to the max. Hilarious, awkward, and just a perfect comic book adaptation of the Adventure Time show.
  8.Serenity: Firefly Class 03-K64. I feel I'm the only human left who hasn't seen both Firefly and the movie sequel Serenity. After reading this comic (and knowing Christina Hendricks is in them) I'm kind of disappointed in myself. A short space cowboy story with some fun art. I definitely want to check out more comics, the show, and movie versions.
  9.Star Wars. Just a short, classic, cool Han Solo And Chewbacca story. The art looked like it was bassed off of video games cell shaded art that was based on a cell shaded comic. Just look at it and tell me I'm wrong. Han Solo was too cool to write the book on cool, so he turned into Indiana Jones wrote a book on the history of cool and had himself as Han Solo write the preface. If you're not picking up what I'm putting down, this story is cool, and so is Han Solo.
  10.Yo Gabba Gabba! The whole time I was reading this all I could think about was "hipster. hipster. hipster". I came in expecting a cute comic for kids, but should have expected it to be aimed at the adult and teenage audience of the Nick Jr. show. I find the show very funny and clever, this however was just a way to sell it to the wretched 90's obsessed high schooler. (and by the way, I loved the 90's too, but shut the hell up already. I get it. You were born in the early 90's. So was I. Congrats) I was really let down by this.
  11.Strawberry Shortcake. What am I doing with my life?
  12.Casper's Scare School. Where did I go wrong?
     Well, that's about it for now. I'll finish the oh-too-long Free Comic Book Day blog later on. Hope you enjoyed or found it somewhat useful or agreeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment