Friday, May 11, 2012

Holy Bat-Blog, Batman!

     Sorry for the Marvel heavy blogs recently, I've just been so excited with Avengers Vs. X-Men and Avengers coming out. So, to break the cycle, here's a Buh-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-nah BATPOST!
    Almost every Bat-family title is tying into the Night of the Owls crossover (I believe the only exception being Batwoman). I'm going to attempt to refrain from any major spoilers, but if you are unaware of the event completely, I suggest you stop reading this and catch on your Batman vol. 2 by Scott Snyder.
    In Batman and Detective Comics, Batman faces some of the numerous Talons (The Court of Owls assassins, spies, and now soldiers) alone in Arkham Asylum, Wayne Manor, and the Batcave. The Talons are no joke. Partially due to sheer numbers, but also in skill. If you don't know why the Talons are as good as they are, well, pick up the past few issues of Batman and the last 2 of Nightwing.
    Batwing (in Gotham on unrelated business) gets tangled into all the madness. Though I've been really enjoying Batwing as a completely new side of the war on crime, this issue seemed a bit rushed. I suppose that's to be expected though, it's not like anyone knew the Talons would descend on Gotham like they have. We also see a side of Batwing I like, he saves the life of the corrupt official that the Talon as sent to assassinate, but knocks the official out when he thanks Batwing for saving his life. He made it quite apparent he didn't want the scums thanks.
    All-in-all, I've really enjoyed the event. thus far. I'm tired of comic events getting so much hype for them to have no real lasting effects of their respective universes. I find myself seeing these events and wishing they could be like the Superhuman Civil War or the Decimation which are both still having great effects on the Marvel Universe. For the first time in years I can say that I'm loving this DC crossover.
    My only complaints so far about this even are about Batwoman. She is seemingly unaffected by these events. Though she isn't actually tied to Batman in any real way, she lives in Gotham City. How can hundreds of ninja-like assassins killing every person in power in the Gotham area not affect her? In an effort to figure out how Batwoman would remain affected, I played devil's advocate against my own disbelief. It took me a bit, but I did think of a single argument that miiiight explain this: Minor Spoiler Alert: When Alfred put out the call to the Bat family, perhaps he couldn't reach or perhaps even just didn't try to reach Batwoman. I find both of these highly unlikely. For the "couldn't reach her" argument, this is the Batcave Alfred is calling from. They are going to have every signal to every device around. If she didn't have any form of communication on her,(which let's face it, Batwoman is going to have an ear piece or cell phone, something on her even when she's just being Kate) Alfred would get her the message. As for the "didn't try to reach her" argument, come on. One of the most capable crime fighters in the city and Alfred doesn't even bother trying her? The real reason has to be with the Amy Reeder the writer, or someone in DC Comics. Maybe Amy Reeder didn't want to. Maybe she is too into her confusing drug trip of a story arc in Batwoman to have bothered. If you're getting a vibe, it because the current arc on Batwoman sucks.
   I'm looking forward to the rest of a DC event that finally has some real impact on characters that I hope will go even deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment